Monday, May 7, 2012

Another Milestone





This weekend marked 2 major milestones: 2 years of marriage for Jon and me and the start of my 36th week of pregnancy!


It's hard to believe that 2 years have already passed since our wedding day! As we've been nearing May 7, Jon and I have been reflecting on all that has happened in the last several years, the unexpected moments that end up changing your life forever, the provision of our Lord, the evolution of relationships, etc. Obviously, hindsight is always 20/20, but it truly is incredible to see the Lord's hand in our lives when we take the time to reflect on Him. It's so hard to see this as true in the moments of our lives, but when we look back over the course of days, months, years, there is no doubt in my mind that He was there, carrying me, walking alongside me, allowing me to experience life through joys and pains, comforting me, loving me - all even when I was/am living selfishly, untrustingly, unhappily. Our God is so Good!

I think it was last Christmas, Jon's parents gave us a daily devotion The One Year Love Language Minute Devotional by Gary Chapman. We've read it nearly every day since then, and it is amazing and sometimes scary how spot on those words meet us where we're at! Too many times, we've read the days devotion, only to find ourselves already being or about to be tested in that very area an hour or several later. Too often, we've failed to absorb the wisdom from early that morning in our devotion time and have not acted out of love and respect towards one another. I sometimes hold my breath just wondering how the Lord is at work and how we're going to come through the experience :) This is mostly true in those areas of life that my pride is too great still and in which I'm resistant to change!

Jon and I are now to the point where we are reading the devotion for the second time, and we love it still! As we come across the words that we read a year ago, it provides great conversation on the growth that has occurred, areas that still need attention, and new ways in which the words apply to our lives now that we are soon to be parents. No doubt the same will be true next year and for the many years to come!

What I've gleaned most from this devotion, through conversations and life is that I can't control my husband or anybody else. I can choose how I behave, how I respond, how I speak and listen, how I spend my time. Through working on me, by focusing on the Lord, in trusting Him to guide and heal, I can be a woman, wife, child, mother, friend that I am proud of. What I've also found is that this is frickin hard! Hard, hard, hard - in the moments when I feel attacked, feel right, feel hurt, feel prideful. It's hard. And I fail. BUT, at least at this point in life, I think I fail less now than a year ago.... we'll see how that trend continues :) Thankfully, whatever the result, I have a loving Lord and an amazing husband on the journey with me!

Anyways - back to the weekend! Jon and I really wanted to get away for the weekend!! You know, a short "Baby Moon," a last get away while it's still just the two of us! Well....I guess lesson of being an adult - we don't always get what we want :) Pretty sure we'll be saying that to our child in a couple of years!! So, as an alternative, we set aside a bit of money and went to Hays for the afternoon/evening to just relax, try something new and enjoy some good quality time together! We started out by going to Pottery Works. You know, one of those places that has all sorts of pottery that you paint, have fired and then get to take home! I'd done this only once before and it was a first for Jon, so it was great! We decided to go for coffee mugs, since one of my first missions in marriage was to convert Jon to a coffee drinker so we could enjoy a mug of coffee each morning together :) It only took me from May to Dec that first year to win him over, and boy, I think think I created a monster! Now it's a must for him each day :) Anyhow, we had a great time decorating and can't wait to go pick up our mugs next week to see how they turned out! Our poor child is doomed when it comes to artistic painting - but they'll still learn to enjoy it!! Here are some pics from the day:







Happy 2nd Anniversary, Babe!! Here's to starting our 36th week and 28 days to baby!!

No comments:

Post a Comment