Saturday, March 3, 2012

Birdrunner

Every year I try to think of something special to try to surprise Jon with on his birthday, so this year would be no different! He's getting a BABY!! :) Since Baby VK is set to join us on June 4 and Jon rings in his 31st on June 3, not much can really top birthing his first child! :) So, I decided I wouldn't try to outdo myself, but still wanted to think of something that Jon and I could enjoy together. Through some research, I came across Birdrunner Wildlife Refuge. Located near Manhatten, this privately owned 150 acres is set in the Flint Hills and offers a beautiful combination of rocky hills, woods and prairies. We weren't sure what to expect on our weekend getaway, but fell in love with the place when we rolled in about 9:30 Friday night, Feb 24. We could tell right away that this was the perfect getaway spot.

We had a small cabin located down a winding path in the middle of nowhere! Immediately surrounded by woods and a view overlooking the rocky hills and prairie, we were loving it!! We really couldn't have asked for a better location or a better weekend full of R&R!! The weather was beautiful, though windy, but that is a daily occurrence as of late. With no cell phone service and no access to the internet, we spent the evenings and days reading the Bible, praying, talking, catchin some rays, observing wildlife, taking short walks, owling, reading by the fire, stargazing and just having fun! Jon even FINALLY beat me at Yahtzee thanks to his double YAHTZEE - he rarely wins so it was good for his ego ;)

I must say, it's been a long time since I've heard so many coyotes, and it's creepy being out in the woods in the dark trying to call owls, hearing the coyotes in the distance and having Gracie running around being the natural explorer she is! Maybe it was my motherly instinct already kicking in or, more likely, I'm a big chicken, but I didn't last long! Gracie and I let Jon finish his search for Barred Owls solo while we relaxed safely indoors :)

It was a beautiful weekend, and we will definitely be going back to Birdrunner in the future...hopefully sooner rather than later! We didn't get many shots of the area, but here are a few snapshots of the cabin and a couple of Grace loving her old stompin grounds (she lived in that area prior to joining our family).

No comments:

Post a Comment